American is currently seeking a Transportation Graduate Engineer in Training for our Wesley Chapel office.
A Transportation Graduate Engineer in Training (EIT) will play key roles in all phases of project planning and design, including providing support of the design, detailing, and administration of civil engineering projects, while furthering technical and professional skills needed to obtain a Professional Engineering license.
This position involves learning how to develop horizontal and vertical geometries, 3D modeling and cross sections for roadway plans using the FDOT Design Manual and FDOT Standard Plans as well as other local and national standards/criteria. An ideal candidate must have good communications skills, be well organized, be a team player, have a strong work ethic, have initiative, and a strong interest in Roadway Design. The position will develop proficiency in Bentley MicroStation, OpenRoads Designer and Connect Edition Applications for design and plans development. Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint is preferred. FDOT Advanced Control Plans certification, and experience with Bluebeam Revu is a plus.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Working as part of a design team and performing assignments under the direct supervision of a professional and/or Project Manager.
- Developing horizontal and vertical alignments, intersection and interchange layouts, storm drain design, signing and pavement marking plans, erosion control, and traffic control
- Assisting in development of plans, specifications, and estimates for transportation infrastructure projects, technical documentation utilizing applicable standards (State, County, City, and AASHTO)
- Assisting in progress reporting and maintaining project records and documentation.
- Performing site visits and fieldwork as required.
- Assist with collecting data and gathering information to support design decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited university
- Engineer Intern (EI) registration or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Willingness to learn and professionally develop
- Ability to multitask
- Strong professional work ethic and positive attitude
- Ability to working independently or with a design team
- Industry experience
- Experience using MicroStation, AutoCAD, or Civil 3D
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret job-related manuals and documents